Sewing curtains is much like cleaning house. We don’t necessarily do it because we love the process – but because we love the result – a clean house! Are you that way, too?
For years, I stitched together window treatments for others. I squeezed time for sewing between young mom responsibilities. I crawled out of bed extra early for a couple of stolen sewing hours in the morning and carved away little snippets of sewing time throughout the day. I made the most of those little blocks of time. And I mean little!
People often tell me how they wish they could sew, but they don’t have time. Let’s rid ourselves of that defeatist attitude. Let’s get creative with our schedules, shall we?
My Top 5 Tips for Making Time for Sewing Window Treatments
Schedule blocks of time. Yes, put it on the calendar! Block out time chunks in the largest blocks you can manage. (Even small ones are better than nothing, if that’s all you have.) You won’t know how much you can accomplish in half an hour until you schedule it and work through it. Try it. You will be amazed at how much you accomplish in thirty minutes!
Turn your phone settings to DO NOT DISTURB (DND). In your phone settings, set a time frame to not be disturbed! That’s right. No notifications to distract you. And, you can still get calls from family and friends who are on your favorites list. So, if a family member has an emergency, they have access to you during DND. I love this feature and have a recurring DND for sleep hours every night! I use it during the daytime for focused work time, too. Notifications distract, and who needs that?
How to set your phone or DND (Do Not Disturb):
- Go to Settings
- Click on Do Not Disturb.
- Press the “From and To” to enter your start and stop time.
- Click the Scheduled Tab to “On”.
- Press “Allow Calls From” and choose Everyone, No one, or Favorites.
- Turn on the “Repeated Calls” tab if you wish to hear a second call from the same person within three minutes (which might be an emergency).
- Under “Silence”, check Always or Only while iPhone is locked.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Sounds and Notifications.
- Scroll down to Do Not Disturb and click the title to go to the screen with the different settings. Turn “Set Schedule” to “ON”.
- You can set the start time and end time you desire for your phone to be on Do Not Disturb mode.
- You can also allow exceptions for receiving calls from your favorite contacts only by clicking “Allow Exceptions”, Click “ON”. Click “Calls and/or messages from”, and a short menu pops up. Select the “Favorite contacts only” option to allow calls from friends and family in your favorites list to get through when they call (needed for getting emergency calls). You can also choose to receive other notifications such as text messages by clicking the “Allow exceptions” tab.
- Be sure your the tab is turned to “ON” to activate Do Not Disturb mode before leaving the settings screen.
Be diligent about limiting time on social media. Set social media time slots in your schedule and stick to them. Limit time on Facebook and other media time-gobblers. Get control of your social life!
Do project mapping. Map projects in advance in an orderly, step-by-step, sequential manner.
Begin your project with the end in mind. Focus on what you’ll enjoy when you finish – how you’ll enjoy your finished project. It will boost you through the steps to completion and motivate you!
I’m sharing this post at Metamorphosis Monday.